Yeilds about 10 servings.
- 1 medium onion
- 3-5 cloves fresh garlic
- ½ butternut squash, outer skin removed
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled
- 1 medium turnip, peeled (if able to locate one, try a yellow turnip)
- 5 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 bag fresh spinach (250 g)
- 3 TBSP Olive oil (Another skin benefit, olive oil has also been shown to significantly reduce photo aging of skin). (1)
Cut all vegetables except spinach (will be added at end) and place in large pot. Add water to cover all vegetables (about 1.5 liters), add more water if you like a more liquid soup.
Cook about 30 minutes or until all vegetables are soft and can be mashed easily with a fork. Puree cooked vegetables and water with beverage blender.
Add Spinach and cook 15 min longer or until spinach is soft. Remove from heat and add 3 TBSP olive oil, stir in evenly.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
(1) Julie Latreille, Emmanuelle Kesse-Guyot,Denis Malvy, Valentina Andreeva,Pilar Galan,Erwin Tschachler, Serge Hercberg,Christiane Guinot, and Khaled Ezzedine (2012). Dietary Monounsaturated Fatty Acids Intake and Risk of Skin Photoaging. PLoS One, 7(9): e44490. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0044490. Full text article available here.